When it comes to homeowners’ insurance, one common question arises: does my insurance policy cover fence damage? The answer, as with many insurance queries, is not straightforward. It depends on a variety of factors, including the cause of the damage and the specifics of your policy. Keep reading to learn some key considerations you should be aware of when determining if your fence damage is covered by your homeowners’ insurance.
Understanding Your Policy
First and foremost, it’s essential to understand the details of your insurance policy. Homeowners insurance typically covers structures on your property, which often includes fences. However, coverage can vary significantly based on your specific policy and the insurance provider. There are generally two types of coverage to consider:
- Dwelling Coverage: This usually covers the main structure of your home and attached structures. Fences are generally not included in this category.
- Other Structures Coverage: This part of your policy is more likely to include fences. It covers structures on your property that are not attached to your house, like sheds, detached garages, and fences.
Key Considerations for Fence Damage Coverage
The cause of the damage is a critical factor in determining if your insurance will cover it. Here are some common scenarios:
- Natural Disasters: Damage caused by certain natural events like storms or lightning is usually covered. Damage from earthquakes and floods often requires additional coverage.
- Accidents: If your fence is damaged due to an accident, such as a vehicle crashing into it, insurance may cover it.
- Vandalism or Malicious Acts: These are typically covered under homeowners insurance.
Exclusions and Limits
Be aware of exclusions and limits in your policy. For instance, damage due to poor maintenance or normal wear and tear is usually not covered. Additionally, your policy may have a coverage limit for structures like fences.
Your policy will likely include a deductible, which is the amount you’ll need to pay out of pocket before your insurance covers the rest. Consider if the cost of repairing or replacing your fence exceeds the deductible.
A Beautiful New Fence Is Just a Phone Call Away
If you find yourself needing a new fence due to damage, or you simply want an upgrade, American Wholesale Fenceworks – Apollo Beach is here to help. We offer top-quality materials at the best possible prices. Don’t let fence damage be a setback. Call us at (813) 556-9399 for the best fencing solutions!
It’s important to speak directly with your insurance provider for a clear understanding of what your policy covers. This blog provides general information, but only your insurer can give you specific details about your coverage.